Saturday 6 August 2011

Mackerel bashing!

On a sunny day like this, what's better than a trip to the beach to cast a line? Unfortunately all I caught was this sun fish on my camera, but a treat all the same as its quite rare to see them (hopefully you can spot it centered on photo below).

Normally a below average fisherman like me can come away with a few mackerel for dinner, which I like to cook 'en papillote' (baked  in a parcel of tin foil and greaseproof paper) with a slice of lemon, dill, bay, seasoning and for a westcountry touch - a splash of cider, to steam the fish whilst baking.

For a more spicy approach, I slash the skin of the fish and rub with a spice mix which invariably I make up on the spot, but usually involves smoked paprika or chili powder, turmeric and cumin seeds emulsified with a drop of olive oil.

Bone idle cooking for a bone idle day of fishing, if you manage to catch any that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment